Open Sub Menu

Timeline

The refinery gave birth to the City of Wood River in 1909. Standard Oil went on to establish the first school, a municipal band, and a fire department.

Standard Oil Company's first stills were put into production in 1908

  • 1906
  • Standard Oil engineers select the site for a new refinery.
  • 1907
  • Construction of Wood River Refinery begins.
  • 1908
  • First stills are put into production.
  • 1909
  • The City of Wood River is incorporated. Standard helps found first school, fire department and municipal band.
  • 1911
  • Due to antitrust actions, Standard Oil of Indiana is created as a separate company from its parent Standard Oil. The Company focuses on the growing demand for motor vehicle fuel.
  • 1920
  • The U.S. Census cites Wood River as one of the fastest-growing communities in the nation.
  • 1926
  • Largest outdoor swimming pool in nation is built, along with Roundhouse and a band shell.
  • 1940's
  • The Refinery steps up production to meet the needs of the War effort.
  • 1956
  • Standard Oil becomes Amoco.
  • 1981
  • After nearly 75 years, the Refinery closes. Demolition and environmental cleanup begins.
  • 1996
  • The chemical additives plant closes.
  • 1998
  • Amoco merges with British Petroleum as part of the new BP.
  • 2000
  • U.S. EPA names Wood River site as a National Brownfield Pilot Project.
  • 2001
  • Deer Park opens and is certified by the Wildlife Habitat Council.
  • 2002
  • 2002 Illinois EPA issues first two No Further Action letters designating two land parcels as needing no further action for remediation of soils and perched groundwater. Since then, four more parcels have received no further action letters with several more parcels currently under review.
  • 2007
  • Deer Park is certified as a Corporate Lands for Learning site by the Wildlife Habitat Council as local schools begin to use the site for student activities.
  • 2010 - 2012
  • Major pipeline investigation is undertaken to identify and then clean or remove underground piping throughout the site.
    read the full story >>

  • 2011
  • BP donates property to City for a water detention pond to relieve flooding in the community.